Ottawa and Kingston: a historic journey
3 nights/4 days
Description: Ontario's first UNESCO World Heritage Site (designated in 2007), the scenic Rideau Heritage Route is a historically significant waterway connecting lakes and rivers as it meanders from Ottawa to Kingston. Including Kingston's Fort Henry Historic Site of Canada, the route takes you through diverse landscapes ranging from tranquil rolling countryside to rugged Canadian Shield. Stop in charming villages and towns boasting three centuries of Canadian heritage. Shop for original art and crafts in the picture-postcard villages that line the canal corridor. Satisfy your savoury cravings at Mrs. McGarrigle's Fine Food Shop in Merrickville, famous for its 13 handmade mustards! Enjoy a trip where fascinating history and fabulous scenery are everyday experiences.
Ottawa is Canada's national capital. This eco-friendly city is great to tour by bicycle or on foot, with trails that weave their way throughout the downtown. The country's national treasures are all close by, housed in magnificent galleries and museums -- like the National Gallery of Canada and the Canadian Museum of Nature. The city is situated on the border of Ontario and Quebec and almost half of the residents are bilingual; a genuine blend of English and French cultures exists. The growing ethnic diversity found in Ottawa results in a truly cosmopolitan city where its heritage is celebrated in festivals and events throughout the year.
Participants should advise if they have any dietary restrictions or food allergies.
Itinerary is subject to change -- some activities are weather dependent.
- Afternoon: arrive in Ottawa, check in to classic downtown Ottawa hotel. Walking tour to get your bearings, followed by free time to explore the ByWard Market.
- Welcome dinner at the Market
- Overnight in Ottawa
- Tour the Parliament Buildings
- Visit the Bytown Museum and learn about the historic Rideau Canal (a UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Travel by Voyageur canoe (weather dependent) led by a costumed and animated coureur de bois to the Aboriginal Experiences. Enjoy a taste of aboriginal cuisine and a traditional dance performance.
- Visit the National Gallery of Canada
- Leisure time to explore Ottawa
- Overnight in Ottawa
- Morning departure
- Travel along the Rideau Heritage Route and stop in some unique towns for a chance to relive Canada's past. Stops include Merrickville and Smith Falls.
- Lunch at the historic Opinicon Resort at Chaffey's Locks
- Classic Rideau Cruise to Jones Falls aboard "Chuckles" with Captain Lance
- Continue on to Kingston
- Check into one of the Historic Inns of Kingston for your overnight accommodations
- Free time followed by dinner at the Kingston Brewing Company, with the award-winning Towne Crier
- Morning or noon departure to Toronto with VIA Rail (dependent on your flight departure)